Saturday, December 26, 2009

DNA testing on dogs to figure out what breed they're mixed with?

Has anyone heard of this? How much does it cost? Do you think Veterinarian's have the DNA test kit yet? I just recently heard of this test and was wondering if anyone has had the DNA test done on their dog yet?





Thanks. :)DNA testing on dogs to figure out what breed they're mixed with?
I've heard of it. It costs $40-70 depending on the test type. Call a vet to ask if they do the testing, not all are equiped for such things.





Good luck :)DNA testing on dogs to figure out what breed they're mixed with?
When I read about this they said (on the news) that it would take approx. two years before it would be available. Also, the cost would be a reasonable fifty dollars or so.


I haven't heard if it is available at this time though.
Its available. It does not test for all breeds, but it does recognize DNA markers in some of the more popular breeds.





I dont know of the cost, its fairly new, so not all vet's probably have it available yet.





Ive never tested my dogs.. at the moment, I only have purebreds. If I had a mutt, I dont think I'd want to test it.. its kinda fun to guess and wonder.
They had something on my local news about a week or so ago. the test is $65 but it is only for 35 breeds right now and most aren't in teh DNA test. One had a Bichon and that wasn't in the tes another had a golden doodle and the test came back that it didn't have poodle or golden but they couldn't say what it was so for now I think it's a waiste of money.


They said they are trying to come out with one to test over 100 breeds but still don't know how much that would cost and still chance you won't now after spending the money.


I believe you might as well get a purebred by the time that you attmept to find out you will be spending a great amount and still may not know.
Dog Fancy magazine has an article about it. It is called MetaMorphix Canine Heritage Breed Test. Does 38 breeds now with 116 by end of the year.( Another one does 130 breeds and is called Wisdom Panel MX). Done with check swab and costs $65 plus shipping.
I've heard of it, it's still in early development, and they don't have all the breeds yet but they do have alot they can test for. I have no idea the cost, and I think most vets still need to order one of the kits, most don't carry them in stock at all times yet.


Here's a link to the place that is doing it, it tells you how to get your vet all the info and about sending it all in








http://www.whatsmydog.com/mixed_breed_an鈥?/a>





I haven't done this with my dogs (both were adopted without any papers but easy to tell one's a bulldog and the others a Komondor.....) but think it's a neat idea for people who end up with mutts that are hard to figure out which breeds they are mixed with and just are curious to find out.
I have heard of it it was on the news. thats so cool. check with your vet they should be able to tell you were you can get it done. i dont remember it being very expencive but i really cant remember. good luck.
yes i've heard of it. most vets have not gotten the kit from the waltham site yet. the cost depending on the type of test and the company ranges from $35-$100. our local news here did a story on the test that uses a swab from the cheek of your dog and the results were funny. the full golden retriever they did came back as golden retriever. but the obvious shepherd mix came back minature poodle and cocker spaniel mix. so i wouldn't really put much stock in the cheek swab. the waltham company has a dna test that uses a small blood sample your vet can collect and it says it's 98% accurate for over 115 different registered akc and ukc breeds. personally this one sounds the best. we are trying to get this test implemented in our area for the pit bull issue. that way there isn't such a question if a boxer mix is mixed with pit or not. and may save a life or two from ignorance. i plan on having it done on my dog that has the markings of a rott, but she's really a lab/aussie mix. hopefully it will keep my homeowners insurance off my back.
Yeah here's the link http://www.metamorphixinc.com/


I haven't done it, don't know anyone who has.. So can't really comment on it at all.. Would be interested in the results if you do happen to give it a try..
I know my dog's half Newfoundland and half Lab and I'd like to get the test done just to see if works! Would be interesting if it came back ';Half Rhodesian Ridgeback, Half Maltese'; lol There's several different tests I've heard about. One's already available and costs about $60. Another I heard wasn't coming out until October. I just hope that this doesn't make people even more brand crazy than they already are about mutts. My dog's a Landseer Newfoundland/Lab mix not a Newfador or Labraland or a Labraseer!!!
people need to start at some point. It might not be perfect now, but the more infomation vets and the AKC have the better we can tell in the future.
There aren't any tests for breed.


Why?


The DNA isn't different enough. Yes, the dogs look different, but it's ';only skin deep';. Under the surface it's all dog. You can tell the difference between dog, wolf and coyote, because they are different SPECIES.


Dogs are dogs no matter what they look like.





You can have ';paternity'; tests, but you'd need to have samples from all possible fathers, and all those dogs fathers, mothers, grandparents, and on and on.





Save your money, breed doesn't matter anyway, just love your dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment