Monday, December 21, 2009

How do I show my child how to show a 7-figure number in words, and how to write particularly high numbers....?

...as figures.


E.g. How would they show five million four hundred thousand and eighty nine as a number. I'm not asking for the answers just an easy method or way to explain. No sarcasm please !How do I show my child how to show a 7-figure number in words, and how to write particularly high numbers....?
Write out columns with the heading being 'millions' 'hundred thousands' 'ten thousands' etc etc and then show how to insert each digit into each column.





This should be taught this in school mind... maybe speak with the school so you can keep your teaching method consistent with theirs - you don't want to confuse your child.How do I show my child how to show a 7-figure number in words, and how to write particularly high numbers....?
well, make use of the commas that are used when writing big numbers...


your example :





5,400,089





you could explain to your kid that when there is one comma, it's usually __the numbers before comma ___ THOUSAND... in your case... ';four hundred thousand '; since there's ONE comma in between the 400 and 89...


it may seem complicated .. but once you understand it, it won't take long for you to explain to your kid verbally...





good luck :]

No comments:

Post a Comment